Group Life Overview
In an effort to continually improve its complement of valuable risk management services for its Members, The Trust sponsors a Group Life Insurance Program in partnership with Standard Insurance Company. The Trust’s Program combines the benefits of economies of scale in pricing and plan design flexibility enjoyed by large employers with the financial stability and reputation for excellence of both The Trust and Standard Insurance Company.
- ADMINISTRATIVE EASE - Paperwork and record-keeping matters are largely handled by The Trust on our Members' behalf including enrollment, billing and claims handling.
- PLAN DESIGN - The Trust works directly with Standard on your behalf in order to match your existing plan design, thereby conforming to any contractual obligations that must be met due to union contracts. If there is no existing plan in place, The Trust will assist you in the design of a group plan keeping in mind any special needs or requirements.
- MULTI-YEAR RATE GUARANTEE - The Trust may be able to provide rate stability by offering a multiple-year guarantee.
- MUNICIPAL GROUP PURCHASE—ONE-STOP SHOPPING - Many Trust Members enjoy the convenience of having all of their insurance needs covered by The Trust.
- PORTABILITY - Eligible employees who terminate from your employ are able to continue purchasing group term life insurance at special group rates directly through Standard. Portability flyers are provided to you for distribution to terminating employees. At that time, the employee can contact Standard directly to obtain coverage and rate information.
- MEDEX TRAVEL ASSIST - Employees are automatically covered under this comprehensive program, at no additional charge, which offers information, referral, assistance and transportation to help employees when faced with medical care situations or other emergencies that may arise during travel.
- LINE OF DUTY BENEFIT - This feature is included as part of the Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance coverage. Municipalities who include AD&D coverage along with basic life coverage automatically receive this additional benefit for their public safety employees at no extra charge. The Line of Duty benefit pays an additional 100% of the AD&D insurance benefit, up to $50,000, when an eligible public safety officer (police, firefighter, etc.) suffers a loss covered under AD&D insurance as a result of a line-of-duty accident.
- ACCELERATED DEATH BENEFIT - This provision provides for the early payment of up to 75% of the employee’s coverage amount to the employee or spouse in the event of a terminal illness.
- ADDITIONAL AND DEPENDENT LIFE INSURANCE - Active employees may be eligible to purchase additional life insurance for themselves as well as dependent life coverage for their spouses and eligible children. This coverage would be at the employee’s expense and is typically handled through payroll deduction.
- ONLINE ACCESS - Enrollment and change forms as well as current plan documents are available on The Trust’s website