The Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive salary and benefit package that includes medical, dental, life insurance, flexible spending and retirement plan. We’re always looking for dedicated, dynamic individuals to join our team.
We are currently recruiting for the following position:
Director of Property and Casualty Underwriting
- Lead, direct and manage all activities of the Property & Casualty Underwriting Department to achieve maximum effectiveness in the execution of initiatives and the achievement of objectives broadly across all segments of the organization.
- Build and implement initiatives to capitalize on opportunities that support Trust Membership, including identifying what capabilities are required to achieve plans.
- Monitor financial metrics to identify trends and anticipate future outcomes. Use financial discipline and product knowledge to guide business decisions.
- Intimately know and understand current market trends and conditions, including social and economic trends impacting Trust Members, to identify and prioritize opportunities and risk.
- Build an effective network of relationships inside and outside the organization to influence processes, strategies and product offerings to promote financial success and Membership stability.
- Identify underwriting trends and conduct Member analysis related to loss frequency, severity, market conditions, and product improvements.
- Develop equitable funding strategies including rate development and fair and adequate premium allocation across Membership.
- Maintain The Trust’s various coverage documents, including language changes, redactions and additions in accordance with product changes, updates, and funding strategies.
- Manage vendor relationships and costs which includes, but is not limited to, The Trust’s various brokers, as well as The Trust’s actuary, audit and appraisal companies.
- Manage and maintain reinsurance contracts with various carriers and brokers, responsible for language and coverage updates and changes and understanding how those changes can impact the financial success of The Trust.
- Serve as a contact for our Members; exceptional customer service is critical to this role which will entail answering coverage and premium questions, as well as conducting Member meetings, and making frequent presentations to the Underwriting Committee as well as the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor degree required.
- Advanced degree attractive.
- CIC or CPCU designation, or working toward such designation preferred.
- 8 - 10 years progressive experience in underwriting, sales and supervision.
- In depth knowledge of Commercial underwriting principles.
- Demonstrated proficiency in technical underwriting, sales, marketing, customer service, and leadership.
- Strong business knowledge and decision-making skills including an ability to exercise sound business judgment, leverage market and competitor intelligence, apply financial acumen and negotiate for success.
- Ability to develop effective and productive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and manage others.
In lieu of the above, any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills may be considered at the discretion of the Trust.
Send Resume and Cover Letter
Mail: Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust, 501 Wampanoag Trail, Suite 301, East Providence, RI 02915 Attention: Executive Office Manager
Please read the qualifications for this position carefully. The successful applicant will have to get up to speed quickly and therefore, we will only consider those who meet all the criteria listed above.
The Trust is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.