The Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive salary and benefit package that includes medical, dental, life insurance, flexible spending and retirement plan. We’re always looking for dedicated, dynamic individuals to join our team.
We are currently hiring for the following positions:
Director of Environmental Health, Safety & Risk Management
Schedule: Full time
Exempt/Non Exempt: Exempt
Travel: Travel within Rhode Island required
The Loss Prevention Department provides specialized loss prevention programs and risk management services designed to address the unique and ever-evolving concerns and problems faced by local government. We proactively assist in reducing claims with the goal of ultimately lowering Member premium levels. We offer specific safety training programs to all Trust Members and provide resources to address the prevention of property, liability, and workers' compensation losses. We also provide comprehensive wellness initiatives designed to help manage the rising costs related to health care and workplace injuries. We assist our Members with developing safety policy statements, setting performance goals and developing internal Member Safety Committees.
- Establish and promote the maintenance of a safe, accident free, and healthy work environment for Trust Members.
- Supervise and direct the Loss Prevention Department and its programs.
- Prepare annual Member Loss Prevention Plan; implement, evaluate and improve new or modified programs, systems, policies and procedures.
- Develop and oversee Loss Prevention Department budget.
- Analyze and assess claims, costs and trends related to health and safety and classify risks as to frequency and potential severity to measure financial impact of risk on the pool.
- Develop, promote and implement Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) and other risk management awareness and educational programs and workshops to assist Members in reducing claims and injuries.
- Prepare comprehensive reports, research, compile and analyze data for exposure to loss; develop and maintain database for detailed listing of all Member exposures.
- Review contracts and agreements for language affecting EH&S and loss prevention considerations; identify and rectify deficiencies, assure that insurance and risk management requirements are adequate and current.
- Oversee, manage and coordinate assessment of physical sites and audit operational procedures of Members; provide advice and technical assistance related to risk management, including safety procedures, accident investigations and tracking corrective actions. Review and approve loss prevention audits, risk management recommendations, and property survey reports.
- Formulate general safety policies and procedures to be followed in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Participate in the investigation of accidents and injuries and assists in the preparation of material and evidence for use in adjudicating claims.
- Assist Executive Director and Underwriting Department with property valuations, risk management and control systems, underwriting concepts, responding to Member requests, and special projects.
- Respond to critical incidents that arise at Member locations as needed.
- Compose and supervise new Standard Operating Procedures and Polices as needed.
- Contribute to effective internal and external communications through regular meetings with Members and Loss Prevention Department team.
- Manage and coordinate Member wellness programs and assist in the development of innovative approaches to total worker health and safety.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial safety, environmental discipline, risk management/insurance, business, public administration or related field from a four-year college or university.
- 10 years of progressively responsible work experience in loss prevention and risk management.
- 5 years of experience in a leadership /management role.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Rhode Island Workers’ Compensation law and regulations.
- Certifications desired: Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
Health and Dental Insurance
Group Term Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Group Long Term Disability Insurance
Health Spending Account
Employee Assistance Program
Mail: Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust, 501 Wampanoag Trail, Suite 301, East Providence, RI 02915 Attention: Human Resources
Please read the qualifications for this position carefully. The successful applicant must get up to speed quickly and therefore, we will only consider those who meet all the criteria listed above.
The Trust is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.